We believe that the best education should be accessible to more than those who can afford it. And we want to give as much of what we can offer at Highgate School to as possible to as many bright children as possible. We want to help more bright young people realise their potential, regardless of income. Wherever possible, their parents’ or carers’ ability to pay the school fees should be no barrier to entry.
There are currently around 80 pupils at Highgate who receive bursaries, or 7% of Senior School pupils. In 2016-17, over two-thirds of our awards were for upwards of 80% of the school fees, and over half are for the full fees. Many pupils also receive uniform grants and help with school trips.
We offer these bursaries because we know that the academic, sporting and creative opportunities offered at Highgate have a transformative impact on our young people. And we know that pupils who receive bursaries thrive within the School.
With your help, we want to increase the proportion of children who receive bursaries to at least 10% of the Senior School. A donation of £140,000 would fund a full-fee bursary for a child from Year 7 to Year 13.
I left Highgate in 2012.I have no doubt that without the generosity of both the school, and its donors, I would not been able to achieve this- in short, receiving a bursary allowed me to attend a school that undoubtedly changed my life.
Highgate encouraged me, like all other pupils, to discover areas beyond the scope of the exam syllabus, allowing us to develop genuine interests and passions: learning something for the sake of curiosity, rather than for the sake of exams. This is a rare freedom for most young people, and one for which I am extremely grateful.
Ultimately, Highgate supported me academically, encouraged my interests, and provided me with both life-long memories and life-long friends. I am, and will always be, hugely appreciative.
Jamie French, SG 2012. Jamie is in his last year of a six-year medical course at the University of Cambridge
Bursaries are funded predominantly out of the income the school receives from sources other than fees. The Friends of Highgate School also support some awards. We are very grateful to the generosity of all donors whose gifts increase the number and value of available bursaries.
Donors support Highgate’s bursary fund in various ways:
• A gift of £684 or £57 a month (£855 including Gift Aid) would provide a year of instrumental music lessons for a bursary holder
• A gift of £5,450 (£6,790 including Gift Aid), with two other supporters matching your gift, would provide one 100% bursary for one year
• A gift of £16,300 (£20,375 including Gift Aid) would provide one 100% bursary for one year
• A gift of £32,600 (£40,750 including Gift Aid) would provide one 100% Sixth Form bursary (supporting a pupil in both Years 12 and 13)
• A gift of £112,000 (£140,000 including Gift Aid) would provide one 100% bursary for seven years, for a child entering in Year 7 and leaving at the end of Year 13
Click here to read more about the charitable vision behind our Bursary Fund.