A dive into the archives: Science building 1928
TO THE FOREFRONT OF SCIENCE!
This month's dive into the archives features the new science building, erected in 1928, and formally opened by Sir Samuel Hoare, the Minister of Aviation. Apart from laboratories, the aeronautics class was using two full-size aircraft, a Sopwith Snipe and an there was a full-size Avro 504K, in a hangar on the roof; there were also five aircraft engines.
In charge of it was J. Wilkinson, a retired RAF sergeant-major. The Aeronautics Class was a concrete embodiment of Johnston’s belief that education should fit boys for the world of their day.
It took Highgate to the forefront of science and technology teaching at the time. In its report of the opening ‘The Times’ commented on the advanced curriculum in life sciences and chemistry which the new building made possible and anticipated that "in the next twenty years there will be an almost incredible development of communications, both by air and by wireless". At Sir Samuel's request the school was granted an extra JULY 1930 week's holiday!
To read our alumni magazine "The Cholmeleian" from Dec 1928 where the official opening is related in pages 59-62 please click here.